Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Favorite Trip

I've taken a handful of great moto trips in recent years, but, my favorite has to be a trip that my friend Valek and I took a little over  a year ago to the Black Hills of South Dakota. 
There were so many great things about this ride, not the least of which was the truly mystical sensation I got while riding through the Black Hills.  It is no wonder why this land is so revered by the Lakota.  Otherworldly is the best descriptor that comes to mind.  Riding the Needles Highway (SD Highway 87) you are riding at the feet of towering monolithic gods that rise as vertical spires all around you.


There is a palpable sense of belonging in the Black Hills.  The abundance of wildlife at every turn is a constant reminder that our "every day world" is so far removed from the "natural world", the real world.  You begin to feel as though you are trespassing on the sacred.


The Badlands were so totally unexpected.  We could have been on another planet!  What must the first observers 10s of thousands of years ago thought when they saw this for the first time?


This trip has stayed with me longer than any other.  It truly has become a part of me.  I will definitely return.  Hopefully very soon!  - LD


3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your trip report ..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed both the trip and Allison Krause. One of my favorite things that last timer I was there was the Ranger running out at the entrance to Mt. Rushmore to take the parking payment and return to affix the paper loop so my wife and I did not tip over on the steep entryway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very nice, glad you had a great time! I miss South Dakota.

    ReplyDelete