Friday, December 23, 2011

My "Second to Last Dog"

I recently heard a fellow reflect on his age by saying he was on his "second to last dog".  Without explicitly stating his prediction of longevity, he was indicating that he had about 15-20 years left (depending upon the age of his present dog).  I'm hoping I'll have another dog before my days are up, but more so due to the fact that our present dog - Lupe - is, sadly, somewhat deficient in the companionship department! What ever happened to "man's best friend"?  I don't think Lupe got that memo, but, that's another story altogether.  In any case, I  never thought of gauging my remaining days in terms of the number of dogs that will share our home.

However, I have given much thought to the number of years that I will still have left to ride.

For a motorcyclist, the notion of no longer being able to ride is a very troubling thought.  Very troubling indeed!  Whether the result of age-related immobility, feeble joints and muscles, failing eye-sight, dementia, or the big sleep itself, every rider - whether willing to admit it or not - knows that the riding days are numbered.  When you get to be my age you begin doing the math... "I should at least have 15 more, possibly 20; God, I hope 20... what about 25?... I've got 20, can I get 25, 25, 25?

The calculations seamlessly morph to mileage...  "Lets see, I'm averaging about 13-14,000 miles per year, therefore I should easily make 250,000... given that I plan to ride more once I retire, maybe 350,000... is 500,000 even possible?" ... perhaps.

Then the mental conversation drifts to bikes... If 350-500,000,  how many more bikes will I need?  I plan to ride my RT for at least 100,000 miles before I would even think of trading it in (I hope she can't hear me talking this way... it's a bit like your girlfriend overhearing your plans to dump her!).  Moreover,  I should be able to get 150,000-200,000 out of this or a comparable model.  Given that,  I figure that I'm on my "next to second to last bike". 

Somehow, and for some inexplicable reason, that has a much more comforting sound to it than my "next to last dog".   I know it's inevitable, but can we please just slow it down a little bit??

PS:  Now THIS is a dog!.
-LD

No comments:

Post a Comment